Cleaning your deck is a fundamental maintenance issue that you should complete at least when every year. If you do need help with cleaning your deck, you can contact a professional specialist to carry out the tasks required.
Clear Everything and Protect Living Things
When you go to clean up the wood, you ought to move any and all furnishings and other outdoor devices off your deck so it will not be in the method. The lawn is an excellent place for these items, or in the house. If you do not have the space, you can stack the items in a corner of the deck so they are primarily out of the way. You will likewise wish to cover any plants and remaining items, as cleansing solutions and sealants can be poisonous. Safeguard your body too by wearing long pants and long sleeves and gloves.
Mix and Apply the Solution
Your local hardware shop should have numerous cleaning options available to acquire. Make sure to check the label so you know you are getting a cleaning solution that will deal with the wood in your deck. There are likewise eco-friendly products available, and they are much safer for you and your household. Once you have the cleansing solution, follow the directions to apply it to the deck. You can either scrub by hand or power wash, depending upon the kind of option and your favored techniques.
Rinse and Seal
Once the service has been used, you can rinse it off of the deck utilizing a garden pipe or by filling your power washer with clean, warm water. Wash the whole surface to make certain you get all of the solution off, then let the deck dry completely. You can seal it once it has dried. Most hardware stores provide a range of sealants. Speak to a worker if you are unsure which will work best for your deck, then apply the sealant carefully and in even layers to ensure your deck is in good condition for the upcoming year.
Different Types of Deck Cleaning Solutions and Cleaning Methods:
- Baking Soda, Vinegar, and Dish Soap: These are every homeowner’s best cleaning friends. This combination of products with some water will help rid your deck of mildew and algae. With a little bit of elbow grease and this solution, keep your deck looking clean and keep it green without the use of dangerous chemicals.
- Borate: Much like vinegar and baking soda, brate is an all purpose natural cleaner. Mixing it with water can help keep your deck free of algae and mildew.
- Pressure Washing: One of the more fun methods of deck cleaning, pressure washers can make deck cleaning quick, easy, and extremely effective.
- Bleach: While not entirely environmentally friendly, bleach remains one of the best solutions to getting rid of mold and mildew from your deck. Be careful though, because bleach can stain certain types of wood. Make sure you know what kind of wood your deck is made out of before you choose to use bleach.
- Oxygen Bleach Cleaner: Oxygen bleach products tend to be a bit safer for the environment than just bleach. While it won’t necessarily directly attack mold and algae in your deck, if you use it frequently enough, it could halt the growth.
- TSP: Tri Sodium Phosphate or TSP isn’t an environmentally friendly choice, but it is very good for killing mold and mildew. If the deck has not been cleaned in a very long time and algae is clearly visible, this would be the most ideal time to use TSP, but only with care and caution. The best way to avoid using TSP would be to regularly keep your deck clean.
Whatever type of cleaning method or cleaning solution that you choose to use for your residential deck, make sure that you are doing it safely and efficiently. Make sure that you use proper protective gear and read all of the chemical warnings to prevent any and all accidents or harm to your deck, home, or the vegetation around your home.
Leave the Deck Cleaning to the Professionals
If you have tried everything to clean your deck and nothing seems to work, don’t be afraid to call a professional. Your home’s deck can add a lot of value to your home, both monetary and visually. Making sure your deck is clean for family gatherings or parties is important, so make sure it looks its best. Call a professional deck cleaning company that knows exactly what type of cleaning methods and cleaning solutions to use for making your deck look pristine. EvoSiding is your local professional deck cleaner and we can help you get your deck back to being clean and useful!